Thursday, July 14, 2011

Mr. Ocean

     I was writing up my Mixtape Mayhem III for the Summer and I figured I'd give Frank Ocean his own post since his tape review started taking up most of the post.  Plus, I really dig the mixtape, even though it was released in February, it's dynamite for the summer or anytime.
     Frank Ocean, a member of the hip-hop collective OFWGKTA , who have been garnering more popularity everyday, looks to be a new voice in the R&B game.  Although, I wouldn't just put him that lane, as his sound definitely goes beyond that.  
     This 23 year old has already worked with some of the games best and will be featured on a couple songs on Kanye's and Jay-Z's Watch The Throne album which is due to compete for record of the year.  He's also worked with Pharrel, Nas, Beyonce, John Legend and even the Bieb.  He's definitely got a refreshing sound along with some conscious, honest, lyrics that separate him from most.  He released a pretty fantastic mixtape in February of this year, which has been acclaimed by many media outlets.  Nostalgia, ULTRA combines numerous sounds which are slightly alternative, bouncy, and upbeat.   "American Wedding" is a great track that is basically a Hotel California cover with his own song on it.  The equivalent of a rap freestyle but a R&B song over a rock ballad.  "Novacane" has been so popular that they've released an official video and they will release this mixtape with some extra songs this summer as a major label release.  I have a handful of favorite tracks on this tape and I'm pretty sure we will be hearing and seeing a lot more of Mr. Ocean, with anticipation.  Download the mixtape here.  I also put his video for "Acura Integurl" song which isn't on the mixtape, but hopefully on the album.  **I also added the video for "Swim Good" below.  One of my favorites on the album, the video is pretty dope along with a shout to the sneakerheads with Frank rocking the Black/CementGrey Jordan III's that are coming out early next year.





frank ocean [swim good] from christopher francis ocean on Vimeo.










No comments:

Post a Comment